Hope Aero (formerly Western Propeller (Atlantic) Limited) was first established in 1969 in Malton, just north of Toronto International Airport. Harry Hope, who started the company, began his career at Western Propeller in Edmonton, Alberta, as an apprentice in July 1951, straightening propellers. In September 1956 he received his letter of Authority to Certify Aircraft Propellers as Airworthy, which was the document used prior to the ‘P’ license. Two years later, in February of 1958, Harry Hope opened a branch of Western Propeller in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in 1964 he purchased 50% of Western Propeller (WPG) Limited.
Several years later, in 1969, to better serve the needs of eastern customers, Harry Hope opened an overhaul shop in Malton, with the original name of Western Propeller (Atlantic) Limited. Since Western Propeller (Atlantic) Limited’s establishment in 1969 it has been an authorized distributor and propeller and governor maintenance facility.
In 1982, the company added wheel and brake maintenance, and in 2000 started selling Chadwick-Helmuth (now Zing Honeywell) Dynamic Balancing Equipment.
In June 1993 the Hope family became sole owners of the company, and the name was changed from Western Propeller (Atlantic) Limited to Hope Aero Propeller & Components Inc.
From a relatively small beginning, Hope Aero has grown into Canada’s leading propeller, wheel and brake overhaul facility. In the Malton operation’s first year, Western Propeller (Atlantic) Limited opened nearly 250 work orders, a number that would double within just two years. That number doubled again by 1977, a year in which almost 1,000 orders were received. Our capacity has steadily increased since then, with 2,000 opened in 1987 and nearly 3,000 in 1997. We currently average over 4,000 work orders per year. Hope Aero continues to build its capacity and technical capabilities, anticipating strong growth to continue in the coming years.